[MLB-WIRELESS] Ricoh PC card drives (model PCD-RP-101CE) + win2k

lkhoo at csc.com.au lkhoo at csc.com.au
Mon Sep 30 14:28:59 EST 2002

Hey guys,

Does anyone know how to "force" a win2k system to take the drivers that are
supplied with this card?

The default drivers seem to cause windows to lock up with I put an
enterasys card in the machine. It then "unlocks" the system when I eject
the card (I also get an unsafe removal of device warning).

I've got 2 other win2k machines that this card sucessfully use the supplied
drivers.
This work machine for no partiulcar reason won't take the drivers no mater
what I do (IBM 300PL - latest bios).

The install procedure :
Put Card in pc. Boot. Win2k detects card and uses generic drivers. Install
drivers from diskette. Reboot. Machine is still using default MS drivers
(R5c520 or compat Cardbus - win\system32\drivers\pcmcia.sys - made by
microsoft)
Uninstall card and drivers.
Take card out of pc. Boot. Install drivers from disk. Shutdown. put card
in. Start up. And it's still using the default MS drivers!

On the driver diskette there are installshield .cab files. These aren't
standard .cab files so I can't open them and force win2k to use them.

Anyone know how I can force that machine to use the supplied drivers? ie.
strip them out of the .cab files and then do a "Update drivers" from device
manager.

Thanks

Lucas