[MLB-WIRELESS] Working! [Was: Belkin and Enterasys card interop?]

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Mon Sep 30 09:59:04 EST 2002

YAY!
Thankyou all for the assistance and e-mails that came through to get an
Entersys/Orinoco card working with a Linux box.
It turns out there are no problems with using a Belkin card and an Entersys
card together - thanks to everyone who pointed out that the Belkin card is
*not* a PCMCIA carrier.. it is known in Linux as a "PLX" card. (you don't
even need to install PCMCIA to get it to work!)
I now have a link between my W2KPro Notebook and my Linux node - even WEP'd!

For the record the following is the result:
Linux 2.4.18-3: Kernel Comes with Drivers (0.9b) - but best results from vs
0.13. Update the Wireless_Tools to vs 2.4 for better results too.

Windows 9x and W2KProfessional: No problems - out of the box.

W2k Server/Advanced Server: Does not work (this is due to Windows not
reading the drivers - same machine different OS and it works).. only looked
at this briefly - will investigate further and let you know of any
developments. I would suggest this is the same reason why XP has a problem..
The card is "recognised" (as a "network device") but the drivers won't
install. I am hoping the kludge the .inf to force installation..

Note: all of these tests were done with a card that had not been upgraded at
all.
Next goal is to make, then erect an Omni ant on the roof of my place and see
what I can see!
Considering that I am relatively close to the cnr of Auburn and Burwood Rd
Hawthorn... there are a few people around here who I *could* link with.. I
am now hoping that maybe I can move my office into  "The Hawthorn" from now
on ;o)

Thanks again all who threw in 2 cents and pointed me in the right direction!
Your advice got it working.

PS: Push the guys at Dick Smith in Caulfield hard to get $80/Belkin Card..
They were listed as $98, they dropped to $80 quickly when I pushed 'em hard!