[MLB-WIRELESS] I got it working!!

Garreth Cain gcain at websolutions.nu
Sat Sep 28 18:42:21 EST 2002

Hi All!!

After 7 hours, four kernel recompiles and my wife attempting to devorce me
(twice) I finaly got my wireless network card up and "working".

Only one problem left...

My WMP11 loads using DHCP which is only accessable via an AccessPoint

so basic topology looks like so:

Wireless Server (A) -- > AccessPoint (B) --> Switch (C) --> network. (D)

So I ifup wlan0 and it loads with an IP address obtained from the DHCP Server
 which sits at (D). SO! to get that IP address the DHCP request had to travel
from (A) then using (B) get to (C) and then go to (D) (and back again)

Easy right!

Well once the interface has an IPaddress it can ping the accesspoint (B) but
nothing beyond... (thinking about it now, I havent done a traceroute,
although I doubt it will turn up too much else)

Going on my experience I would say without even hesitating that its a routing
problem with the settings its getting from the DHCP server, yet the AP
should act as a mini-router on its own right.... and a transparent one at
that! (unless I have misunderstood the role of an accesspoint)

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! (Im sure its a simple config
somewhere!)

System Breakdown:
Debian 3 2.4.18
WMP11
WAP11
linux-wlan-ng-0.1.15-pre7
(anything else you need?)

Regards
Garreth Cain

__
"If Windows is the solution, You don't understand the question..."