[MLB-WIRELESS] Range for particular antenna/card combination

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Thu Sep 26 08:14:11 EST 2002

Cameron McCormack wrote:

>Hi list.
>
>Sorry if this is a particularly newbieish question; radio communication
>isn't my forte.
>
>Is it possible to determine, given a particular antenna and wireless
>card, what range you could get from it?  As an example, using the 8dBi
>omni antenna[1] and a 100mW WL200[2], how far could I reach?

The Terrain, fres clearance, and antenna height are the limiting factors.

For 100mW, and 8dBi ; (my guess would be )

antenna lying on concrete floor, 50Metres max
antenna upright indoors - 200Metres (ish)
antenna mounted on roof - clear line-of-sight - 1KM (ish)
antenna  4metres above roof, house on hill,  flat grassy terrain, zero
obstacles - range unknown, but *100% guaranteed* 1KM, and a lot of fun
to had finding out..  8-))

Put a 15+dBi sector antenna on it, and go for a drive with a little dish
and reeeeely have some fun.

disclaimer:  I'm a radio person, and a Linux person, but not (yet) a
802.11 person.

regards
Steve