[MLB-WIRELESS] FW: Wireless Networking Frailty

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue Sep 24 09:20:36 EST 2002

Hmm, someone has evil DoS ideas.  I don't know how much risk there is in
practice, but a few things are on the sire of the WLANs.

1.  Power at 2.4 GHz is expensive.  That said, it is possible to hack a
microwave oven (and probably fry yourself in the process ;) ).

2.  Indoor installations have some degree of shielding (tinted windows can
be an effective barrier to RF - signal may leak out, but it could be enough
to take the sting out of an attack).

3.  Outdoor installations often use directional antennas up high, so the
attacker may have to get into the beam (but if they do manage that, bye bye
WLAN).

As I said, dunno the exact level of threat (and I'm not about to sacrifice a
microwave oven and a bunch of WLAN cards to find out!).