[mesh] Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Here comes the pain...

Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au Matthew.C.Boyd at uts.edu.au
Sat Sep 21 07:31:19 EST 2002

Someones probably already said this, hell maybe I've mentioned it...
but...
What are the restraints on us approaching people who set up wireless
networks, be they ISPs or some other scumbags and proposing a standard ip
allocation scheme (probably more easily workable with ipv6, but not
impossible with the constraints we have on our ipv4 stuff), a standardised
routing setup and a standard essid, the advantage being that a wireless ISP
or company wanting to provide access to its network over a larger area
wouldn't have to worry excessively about the infrastructure cost. The
advantage to us being that we get a larger range of services on the
wireless network and more active nodes.

If you wanted to use a wireless ISP then you'd just need to set up an ipsec
tunnel to the nearest gateway out to the net. If you wanted to access the
computer at work, ipsec tunnels once again, or whatever else becomes available.

Basically its the mesh idea, using the increased wireless traffic / node
density to increase bandwidth rather that complaining about the noise. We
could use the subscription thing with Melbwireless that was discussed a
while ago to make it legal for people to use it for net access.

I can see a number of problems with this idea, number 1 being that you'd
have to convince people that we had the capabilities to support the
network, the next that it's in their interest, is it legal, people using
the network would want to have some say in how it was run. Is there
anything that stops us from letting companies join melbwireless, some sort
of corporate membership, or could we start up something along the lines of
a standards body to promote our scheme? Having said this, is it worthwhile
to work through these (and all the other) problems.

Matt