[mesh] Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Here comes the pain...

Jon Teh jon at unicomsystems.com
Fri Sep 20 15:28:49 EST 2002

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 02:11:16PM +1000, Matthew Sullivan wrote:
> sanbar wrote:
>
> >This is bad. All of a sudden the 2.4GHz band is to become very crowded.
> >Just say I set up an AP with an omni right next to the wisp's AP and pump
> >out 4W? Who's interests are best served - commercial or community? Who
> >will adjudicate on any location/signal overlap disputes? What if my AP
> >causes the commercial AP to lose business?
> >*Sigh* It's now us against them. Maybe it's time to start and talk
> >about strategic alliances of mutual benefit?
> >Please someone tell me I am wrong.
> >

> Not a problem.   There are 2 rules to check the problems:
>
> 1/ It's license free so all are entitiled to use it providing they are
> within the limits of the law.
> 2/ You must not interfere with them as much as they are not permitted to
> interfere with you.
>
> Obviously in your example if there is no need for you to pump 4W it is
> likely you'd be asked to stop.  However, if you have 'standard ouotput'
> cards (ie 30mW or some such) and you couldn't use it within your own
> house because Mr ISP next door is kicking 4W EIRP in your general
> direction, you'd have every right to complain.  (of course whether
> anything is done about the problem remains to be seen).

Unless this new change brings about major changes in the interference
protection terms of the law, this is just not true.
In the case of usage of unlicensed, class licensed allocated spectrum,
no party is afforded ANY protection from interference under the law, unless
one party is exceeding the class license power specifications.
It's a case of, you're not a paying customer, tough bickies.

-- Jon Teh