[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: [mesh] Transfer Rates

Glen Brunning bchild at wireless.org.au
Fri Sep 20 08:45:06 EST 2002

Peter, when you ran the tests on the other 400m links, was the laptop you orignally
used still running, and with the laptop tests were the 400m links still running, a
suggestion is try 1 connection at a time, laptop with 400m links, then 400m links
without the laptop running see what results your getting.  It could be the fact
that all the links are doing is sharing a varying degree of bandwidth the one with
a stronger signal is getting a better result perhaps??

just a thought

Peter Board (p_board at tpg.com.au) wrote*:

>I did a bit more testing the other night.
>
>On my local Windows Access point, I can get up to 260 kilobytes/sec transfer rate
from my laptop with a wireless card through the AP to the wireless card that acts
as a client on the linux router. Client -> AP -> Client - 260Kbytes/sec. Both of
the client cards were in range of each other.

>My thoughts are that because I didn't have the hidden node problem, both clients
could hear each other, the transfer rate was higher. The other links to this local
Access Point which are 400m links (two of them) only achieve around
75kilobytes/sec. They both have LOS. They have to route their traffic through the
Wireless Card on the linux router (as previously mentioned), but in theory they
should be able to do the 260 KB/sec I can with my laptop.

>Any idea's on how to speed the transfer rates up?
>
>Just thought I would share my findings.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Peter

performance I have found (I am trying to up the performance but I believe I might
need to fiddle with RTS/CTS values or possibly look at some driver changes. Hidden
Nodes seem to be a major factor in performance problems. There are some special
windows drivers that use a Turbo Cell custom mode that only works with Karnet
Access Points that are supposed to optimise the network bandwidth via some polling
arrangement).

>  Firstly, we find if someone is doing a major file transfer, they knock out the
weaker nodes (mainly our 7.5km Client node) under the large file transfer is done.
We are using an Apple Airport (Lucent Silver card 8.10 firmware) as our main AP,
all other cards are Cabletron Roamabouts running 6.06 to 8.10 firmwares.

>  Transfer speed
>
>  Wired client > Client Node (linux router) > AP > Wired Client (hanging off the
access poing) ~ 450 to 500 Kb/sec

>  Client Node > AP > Client Node, between 75Kb to 100 Kb/sec
>  Client Node (linux router) > AP > Client Node (7.5 Km link) ~ 50Kb /sec
>  Client Node (7.5 Km) > AP > wired client ~ 150Kb/sec
>
>  We also have a second access point running under Windows (with driver hacks) but
it does not seem to allow the traffic to pass to the Windows PC to be routed over
Ethernet. Thus we use a second Wireless Card to route traffic via this Windows
Access Point. Performance seems to be between 75Kb/sec and 120 Kb/sec. If the
Windows drivers can be modified to allow local routing of the traffic over its
ethernet interface, then I assume we should be able to get close to 450 - 500
Kb/sec (Client -> Ap -> wired)

>  Anyone know what all the values are for the lucent drivers in the registry?
Anyone got a Linux AP driver for Lucent / Cabletron cards?

--
Glen Brunning
Hardware Tech