[MLB-WIRELESS] Transfer Rates

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Tue Sep 17 11:18:32 EST 2002

I don't know about the wireless side, but I can tell you that Ethernet uses
CSMA/CD (Carrier Sense, Multiple Access, Collision Detection) to modulate
the carrier (radio frequency) .
Only one device can talk at one time per "Carrier" - thus, on Ethernet if
you have multiple devices (MA) sharing the carrier and create "two way"
communications (ie. pings originating from both ends) - the packets could
collide, a pause will occur and they will retry. (/CD) - slowing down your
data path.

THEN, also don't forget, that whilst the CARRIER communicates at "10Mb" -
you are encoding with protocols to transport the data ie. 802.3 Frame, Ip
Protocol, TCP protocol etc. All of these carry the payload (read: data) that
you are sending.
I would also guess that if you are also encrypting you should
(theoretically) have packet "padding"  to filling up any partially-filled
frames - so it will also affect the throughput of the of path (not
forgetting the time it takes (latency) to encrypt and decrypt etc)

Finally, there is Latency. This is the time it takes to get from one side of
a device to another. For example, in a router you expect latency, because
the router has to strip the Frame (802.11 or 802.3), investigate the IP
Addresses and protocol, make a decision and then forward it onto the next
interface. All of which takes time - thus affecting the throughput.

So I would assume that, like Ethernet, in wireless you wouldn't get actual
11Mbs of data passing over a link, just like you will not get "10Mb" of data
over an Ethernet link. (In fact, I believe that the throughput of Ethernet
is about 3.9Mb)
I can't tell you what to expect on a wireless link (I don't have those
figures) - but look for throughput - it is a better representation.