[MLB-WIRELESS] Effect of weather on wireless links

Paul van den Bergen gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
Tue Sep 17 08:59:19 EST 2002

Hi all, Hi Craig...

Seems like a ideal project - hook a weather station up to a PC and
datalog the temp,wind, RH and data rate.  I have software (Origin) that
will easily do the analysis.  It will also do datalogging, but it is
years since O looked at it and I would have to learn it again...  It is
a project I have been considering...  just need a link first :-)

was looking at UWB a while ago, lead to interest in GPS too.  There are
a couple of sites detailing the use of GPS signals to monitor upper atm
RH by the signal delay caused by the changes in the refractive index of
the atmosphere...   that is 80 km of atm in 12000km of ground to
satelite distance...  scary...  so perhaps we can use the 802.11b links
we have as weather stations to measure the RH distribution around
melbourne :-)

Craig Mead wrote:

>| How much will varying weather conditions affect the performance of a
>| wireless link?
>| More specifically, conditions such as temperature, humidity, rain/fog
>| (smog?), electrical activity and pressure?
>|
>| After experiencing a vast spectrum of weather over the past few weeks (ie
>1
>| very windy, rainy and harsh storm a few weeks back, and a 27C sunday
>| followed by a rainy and very windy monday), i was wondering how peoples
>| wireless links stood up to it.
>|
>| I am interested in linking with a node which is 2.3km away, across a
>valley.
>| Last winter, there was very thick fog across it, and even during light
>rain,
>| i can only just make out his roof.  Also, we are near the top of two
>facing
>| hills (he is situated near the police academy), so lightning strikes can
>get
>| close-ish.
>|

>| thanks,
>| nudge
>|

>I have a 1km link to a mate down the road, there is LOS during good weather
>conditions but in my area around May I think it was the fog was so thick
>that I couldn't see the house next door. How did it effect the link? We
>dropped about 2K/sec in thruput. Even thru torrential rain, same deal. And
>his links just a cantenna hooked to a laptop sitting in the window.

 ####### Dr Paul van den Bergen
###    # Ms Gabrielle Harrison
# ###  # gabpaul at melbpc.org.au
### #  #