[MLB-WIRELESS] Transfer Rates

Cameron Donaghey wireless at eventtechnologies.com.au
Mon Sep 16 15:54:08 EST 2002

Hello Everyone,
   I have eventually got my wireless up and running, only on a private
level at the moment, and
yet I am not entirely sure it is running correctly. I have two machines and
in each one I have
a Compaq WL100 card set to infrastructure mode. I also have a linksys Wap11
access point
which is running as an access point only.
I have done some testing and I seem to have a max. transfer rate between
the two machines
of about 310kb/s and the machines are only a meter or so apart. I would
have assumed that
being a 11mb/s network that I would be able to achieve more so around
500-1000kb/s rather
than the 300kb/s max. I am currently achieving. Both card say they have
"excellent connections"
and at 11mb/s.
My question to you all, is the transfer speed of about 300kb/s typical for
802.11b or should I be
able to achieve higher rates of transfer? If I should be able to achieve
more would anyone have
any suggestions towards resolving the problem?
   Thanks very much,
      Cameron Donaghey