[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh via Internet tunnels.

Jamie Lovick jalovick at doof.org
Sat Sep 14 12:16:56 EST 2002

On Sat, 14 Sep 2002, Andrew Dean wrote:

> > At 11:08 AM +1000 9/9/02, Paul van den Bergen wrote:
> > >Hi Evil...
> > >
> > >this is what I figured...  they will charge appropriately.
> > >
> > >OK, so if I grab a length of copper wire and pass it over the back
> > >fence, can me and my mate connect our ADSL modems together?
>
> I work for a company that supplies ADSL and some guys there had the
> same idea and tried it, my guess was it wasn't gonna work, and i was
> right, they even tried crossing over the phone cable.
>
> I'm not 100% sure on how it works, but you might find SDSL modems
> MIGHT work but these aren't always cheap...

It depends on the modem. Most A/SDSL modems are only designed to work
witha DSLAM, some of them are switchable to operate back to back in SDSL
mode.

If you're trying to test them back to back, you will need to load the
line, as these things are designed to work over several kilometers.

> and running an ethernet cable is a much better idea... I ran a
> 80meter length from my mates room to his garage where our AP is.

Ethernet is fine, as long as it is suitably protected.

Regards

Jamie

--
Jamie Lovick    <->  IT Consultant    <-> +614 1479 1681
Hobby     : Doof.org                   -> jalovick at doof.org
Director  : Drastic Solutions Pty Ltd  -> jalovick at drasticsolutions.com.au
----- Public Relations Officer - the Australian Wireless Association -----