[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh via Internet tunnels.

Andrew Dean ferni at shafted.com.au
Sat Sep 14 10:31:34 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clae" <clae at tpg.com.au>
To: "Paul van den Bergen" <paul at serc.rmit.edu.au>;
<melbwireless at wireless.org.au>
Sent: Saturday, September 14, 2002 1:33 AM
Subject: Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh
via Internet tunnels.

> At 11:08 AM +1000 9/9/02, Paul van den Bergen wrote:
> >Hi Evil...
> >
> >this is what I figured...  they will charge appropriately.
> >
> >OK, so if I grab a length of copper wire and pass it over the back
> >fence, can me and my mate connect our ADSL modems together?

I work for a company that supplies ADSL and some guys there had the same
idea and tried it, my guess was it wasn't gonna work, and i was right, they
even tried crossing over the phone cable.

I'm not 100% sure on how it works, but you might find SDSL modems MIGHT work
but these aren't always cheap...and running an ethernet cable is a much
better idea... I ran a 80meter length from my mates room to his garage where
our AP is.