[MLB-WIRELESS] UPS's and Batteries

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Wed Sep 11 12:00:45 EST 2002

I've heard stories of people using UPS's as the backend to Solar Power
Platforms. (Can't see why it wouldn't work! - trickle charge the batteries
with through some diodes between the solarpanel regulator and the
batteries..) and voila - one "solar powered remote-site 240V Inverter" for
<$400!

I have an APC 1.5Kva UPS here protecting my network with 3x CPU's, big
monitor, umpteen routers and IPSEC Gateways and a modem link - I get about
25Mins plus shutdown time.. (at last test)
One could only guess how long a simple AP, router etc.. sucking under 2Amps
would last! :o)
BTW: I have my second ("customer hot spare") UPS connected to my TV/Stereo
kit - for the ultimate in Bachelor comfort - last summer we had a blackout
so had the neighbours over for a BBQ and the Cricket by Candlelight! Grouse!

Might be the answer to the Solar debate that was on the maillist the other
day too!