[MLB-WIRELESS] Mobile phones in remote places.

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Mon Sep 9 19:47:59 EST 2002

Jon Teh wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 09:34:57AM +1000, Paul van den Bergen wrote:.
> >
> > My father has a country property (hereafter known as "The Block").  it
> > is in west central victoria near a town called Moonambel, near Avoca,
> > vineyard country.  He is in a mobile phone hole, both analogue and CDMA.
> >
> > Is telstra interested in plugging
> > networks holes?  who would I talk to about this? what costs are involved?
>
> Unless there is more than a couple of customers, I doubt it.
> Costs? The mobile telephony network remains the property of the carrier,
> so they would have to pay for a new base station, if it was to be installed.
> You can try your luck at complaining about the lack of service, but I don't
> like your chances. Take a look if they have any service obligations for
> mobile telephony in the USO, but again, I don't think this is too
> hopeful.

Right now (imo) is a really good time to complain about service
for rural users as Telstra is very sensitive. Put bluntly
unhappy country voters = no full privatisation. And certainly
any tower they put in would have to help more than just Paul's dad

Kind Regards
Nick Sibbing
Artful Solutions
Fax (613) 9728 8294  Ph (613) 9728 8220