[MLB-WIRELESS] Connecting nodes/clusters and expanding the mesh via Internet tunnels.

Carl Johnston cjohnston at biziworks.com.au
Mon Sep 9 11:24:52 EST 2002

Paul,

The exchange is not an integral part of the way DSL works, it's just
logical to put the DSLAM there (as they're close to the subscriber's
copper). The handshake occurs between the modems (or DSLAM in terms of
the regular setup).  ATM/FR is not nessecary either, it's just how
telstra connects the DSL users to their network.

I'm pretty sure that a length of copper wire would work in the way that
you're describing.  There may, however, be a minimum length for this
wire.  In the same way that most ISDN router's work, you should be able
to either bridge the connection, or setup IP over the DSL link
(depending on the modem).

Regards,

Carl