Free access to Uni networks? (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburne's Wireless Network)

Tristan Gulyas zardoz at 2600.org.au
Fri Sep 6 11:05:39 EST 2002

Howdy,

> I live line of sight and VERY near Swinburne (I can see ALL of their
> buildings from my office window) - but I am not a swinburne student - so
> what is the bet that not even 128Kb is coming my way to allow me to
browse..
> The way I would see if - if I was designing their network - the wireless
> links would be on a DMZ - no facilities there except for one IP address
(the
> VPN peer). Limits the amount of "outsiders" accessing the intranet, whilst
> still allowing simple network connectivity.

I believe Swinburne do this.

Monash go the extra yard and require all MAC addresses to be registered on
our network.  This is done by going to an internal webpage, logging in with
your student/staff account and inputting your MAC address.  Then, once you
associate, you run the VPN client to get outside.

> *Sheesh* If their network grows any wider - it *will* start to impact on
> *my* network... geez - a heap of students with wireless connections (and
too
> much time on their hands) close by... and my wireless link - note to self:
> review intrusion detection security urgently :o)

And here comes the interesting thing - whole wardriving is quickly becoming
something frowned upon (Thanks, media!), the practical application for
interference surveys still exists.

.t