Free access to Uni networks? (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburne's Wireless Network)

Joe Hovel joe.hovel at med.monash.edu.au
Thu Sep 5 23:31:15 EST 2002

Hi John,
what kind of traffic (if not Internet traffic)? From where to where? What
"unused" resources???

I don't get it - or do you mean BETWEEN University campuses (like Monash
Clayton to Monash Berwick or Churchill? I don't believe there is excess
capacity within Monash anywhere, and I would imagine that to "overlay" some
kind of "community network" on the Monash Intranet (which is in fact just
part of the Internet with resources locked off via an authentication system
which identifies "roles" such as student/staff/personnel/finance etc.) would
be quite costly for the relevant security systems.
Then, since this is a wireless list, where would you transmit to and from?
the WLANs in Monash are INSIDE buildings....?

Cheers,
Joe
(Monash University, Bendigo Campus)