Free access to Uni networks? (was Re: [MLB-WIRELESS] Swinburne's Wireless Network)

John Dalton john.dalton at bigfoot.com
Thu Sep 5 23:07:50 EST 2002

Given that Universities are publicly owned institutions,
I wonder if there is a case for free and open access
to their intranet?  That is, they forward traffic
across campus for the general public, but don't allow
access to the wider Internet, or their own computers.
The university's own traffic could get priority over
general traffic.

As far as I can see, such an arrangement would have
close to zero cost to the University (apart from
some initial configuration), as it would only be
using otherwise unused resources.  No doubt the Uni's
would argue against this on security grounds, but is
this a valid argument?

The same argument could be used for government departments
as well.

John