[MLB-WIRELESS] RE: passive repeater - Take 2

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Wed Sep 4 06:34:50 EST 2002

sanbar wrote:

>http://wireless.bur.st/passive.jpg
>Two antennas back to back, no
>electronics. It's fair to say no, the numbers say a passive repeater
>probably won't work over large distances. However, if you have a LOS
>problem to your mate who's only 100m or so away, it works.

keerect!

As long as the passive reflector is *very* close to one end of the link,
the antennas are *very* directional, there is some physical isolation
between the antennas, it will function mostly.   A couple of little
dishes would be good.  or something with high front-to-back ratio.

Hams have been using these for years - the difference is, they (we) can
poke a kilowatt up it when necessary. (if you have one ;-)

As for the 3dB comment..  sorry, it's gonna be waaay more than that.

/sw