[MLB-WIRELESS] Re: Solar powered Wireless repeater?

Joe Hovel joe.hovel at med.monash.edu.au
Tue Sep 3 16:48:40 EST 2002

Hi everyone who answered so quickly!
The site I have in mind is of course nowhere near a powerpoint.....
Solar or nuclear :) are the only options... a wind turbine would be great as
it is on top of a ridge, but I bet I wouldn't get a planning permit....
although there are small turbines used on sailing boats which might be OK (=
can be hidden).
I'm reasonably happy about sorting out the power issues myself once the
minimum equipment is clearer to me.
I'm quite stuck though as to the issues of repeating a 2.4GHz signal. Is it
possible to use a single Omni antenna and let an access point do the
repeating or do I need two antennas? (and therefore two wireless cards)
The distances are about 7 or 8km each "leg".
To get to the bottom of the network issues themselves, someone might fill me
in in some of the more obvious things: is a repeater a router, a bridge, or
what? Does an access point do either or both internally? What are the issues
for using a single card or two?
Can two directional  antennas be connected to the same transceiver to get a
"bidirectional" coverage?
Too many questions?  :)

Cheers,
Joe