[MLB-WIRELESS] Solar powered Wireless repeater?

Nick Sibbing nick at artful.com.au
Tue Sep 3 16:04:52 EST 2002

lkhoo at csc.com.au wrote:

> Joe said:
>
> >I'm thinking: Access point with two cards and two antennas, running of
> batteries....
>
> I believe this came up quite some time ago.
> I think the main issues stopping people making them were with the size of
> the batteries that would be needed and also the amount of sun that would be
> required to recharge them.
> One of the final messages from memory was a comparison with the total cost
> of solar vs a standard power point.  It doesn't help if the AP is in a
> remote area however.
>

> "Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?"

I think rik ric? was asking people about solar powered aps but I
don't think that it was all that easy. The first requirement for
this to be feasible is an ap with frugal power needs

I seem to remember talking with someone at a meeting who had
researched this and the apple airport was reasonably frugal

I actually discussed this with someone from the Alternative
Technology Ass  http://www.ata.org.au who are probably the
greatest experts on non mains power stuff. They are a community
organisation like us and the person I spoke to had heard of Melb
Wireless. But he was about to go os and I confess i didn't chase
it up I'll see if I can make contact again

I thought that wind power depending on the site might be a
better option than solar as the system can be charging at night
as well. The killer is that you need to provide enough battery
reserve to cope with non charging times and this is where the
cost can easily become prohibitive. Of course if you had access
to the site (ans spare time) you could have a smaller reserve
and top up from mains occasionally

Kind Regards
Nick Sibbing
Artful Solutions