[MLB-WIRELESS] Firewalls on wireless gateways

Grant McHerron grant at taoceti.com.au
Wed Oct 30 12:25:15 EST 2002

Heya,

At 11:08 AM 30/10/02, sanbar wrote:
>Just a quick question, but does anyone have a hardened firewall script
>specifically for a wireless gateway that will allow ssh tunneling?
>Specifically for a network that allocates 10.x.x.x to the outside world
>and uses 192.168.x.x inside? Is it just a case of munging an external
>0.0.0.0-based firewall for 10.x.x.x?

I've just set up a firewall for a client using Mandrake 8.2, iptables and
the gShield firewall tuning script
(http://muse.linuxmafia.org/gshield.html). It's pretty easy to understand
and seems to do a good job of covering all the bases, guiding you through
the setup, etc. It does mention SSH and VPN in there, but I'm not sure if
it will give you 100% of what you want.

Most of the firewalls I've mucked with have been set up against full
Internet connections, not wireless AP's. That said, I do intend to set up &
secure an AP (once I've dug myself out of my current financial hole :) and
will be trying to use the same set up for that as well (albeit with
different answers to questions and such :)

Cheers,

Grant

PS      Before anyone comments, yes, the Tao Ceti web site still sux -
"Look, it's on my 'to-do' list, alright?" - one of these days.... :)

Grant McHerron
Tao Ceti Pty Ltd

Level 1, 530 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000, Australia
Ph: +61 3 9909 7067             Fax: +61 3 9228 3257
http://www.taoceti.com.au       grant at taoceti.com.au