[MLB-WIRELESS] Mobile Phone towers and the such

Kieran Seal slab at flashmail.com
Wed Oct 16 23:19:16 EST 2002

Gday people
This is a bit off topic from wireless data networks, but it's on the topic of wireless anyway so i thought i'd ask a few questions anyway
I was thinkin the other day, my house is on one side of a hill, where we get telstra and vodafone reception, but no optus at all. Well, there is one scenario where you get pissweak optus. When the phone is held up against the window pane. Which made me think, does glass (or a specific size of glass) resonate at the frequencies mobile phones transmit at? Or am i way off here.. I think i might be partially right, coz in the middle of the house there's no reception, but at either sides (20m apart) on windows, there is reception.
Anyway, that's a bit off topic again. I was thinking, if i get a galaxy antenna, and mod the dipole so that it's the right length for mobile phone frequencies, and then connect that to an omni in the middle of the house, would this passive repeater give me reception? Or would the signal be way too weak to use a passive transmitter? If it was too weak, would i be able to use a low power amplifier?
I know this would most likely be illegal to do, but i don't think anyone would find out, as we live in quite a desolate area. We basically own one side of this hill so it shouldnt really interfere with anything.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rambling
If people could post their thoughts it'd be great

Thanks
Kieran