[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

Andrew Griffiths andrewg at d2.net.au
Thu Nov 28 18:22:50 EST 2002

Hi evilbunny,

evilbunny wrote:
> Hello Andrew,
>
> AG> I'm referring to the ability with some routing protocols that allow you
> AG> to use a key to authenicate the data inside the protocol (such as ospf).
> AG> But I agree with you that this is a seperate problem area.
>
> I'm told both OSPF and BGP "passwords" can be sniffed, so not much
> security there...

Almost, if you want to use cleartext authenication. Though, both OSPF
amd BGP supports md5 authenication. For more information, refer to
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=ospf+md5+passwords,
from there you can find information about configuring both zebra and
cisco routers with MD5 authenication. (iirc it uses a HMAC to
authenicate data.) If someone wanted to dedicate time to it, they could
easily brute-force the password, but it'd take them a fair while (Plus
collisions, although I'd suspect them to be a more rare occarence would
be a PITA).

Sincerely,
Andrew Griffiths