[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Fri Nov 29 11:49:41 EST 2002

Hello Craig,

CS> DNS is a consideration for the long term, that has to be addressed if we
CS> want to end up with a functioning *network* rather than a random bunch
CS> of nodes.  same as we need to figure out IP address allocations and,
CS> eventually, evolve a routing framework that copes with ad-hoc links
CS> coming on-line and going off-line at random (if we don't do that,
CS> there's going to be no way for a node out in, say, Ringwood to
CS> communicate over the wireless network with another node in South
CS> Melbourne or Coburg or wherever).

I disagree, if all DNS doesn't conflict with existing global DNS
structures using real TLD's instead of others (see problems with 3rd
party TLD's using .biz and people seeing mismatches in the whole zone
thing when ICANN introduced .biz into the global TLD) Basically if we
plan to interlink with other groups, and for example 2 different
groups in different sides of the globe decide on using a fake TLD that
don't know about each other now, and later try and link up (even thou
I think this is pointless it's possible in future with things like
IPv6)

Basically if it fits in with the rest of the world there is no
possible way for conflicts to happen at a latter time causing everything
to be renamed for what ever reason... unlikely however there are a lot
of very famous sayings from people that look very stupid for saying
them at later times :)

"No user will need more then 640k of ram" comes up frequently, it's
all about looking at the future rather then current needs...

CS> personally, i think real domain names are essential (there's no reason
CS> that we need to stick to just one domain for the whole network, all that
CS> matters is that any given hostname is resolvable).  wireless networks
CS> aren't going to be disconnected from the internet forever, and we do
CS> *not* want to have to rename everything when legislation and ISP billing
CS> models change.

Exactly...

--
Best regards,