[MLB-WIRELESS] DNS and Locfinder

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Fri Nov 29 06:04:25 EST 2002

Hello James,

DNS was never meant to be a directory service, and I have no idea why
people insist on confusing reverse and forward lookups into the mix as
well. Doing a traceroute with anything as the forward lookup, won't
show up in traceroute... then of course that would come down to a
reverse lookup policy...

If you want a directory service I'd suggest taking a look at...

ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobile/urld/ABOUT.txt
ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobile/urld/urldv2.tar.gz
ftp://ftp.cs.pdx.edu/pub/mobile/urld/urldv2.zip

runs on most OS's I believe...

The reason for global DNS is simple, people that multihome, ie wireless
and wired at the same time will have issues with non-public DNS
structures, as DNS doesn't round robin as such, if it hits a DNS
server (say the one issued by DHCP from optus, telstra etc) and it
returns a not found record, it won't look at an internal one, on the
flip side if they lookup google.com on an internal server and it is
unable to locate it then of course it won't look else where it'll fail
to find it...

Also using public DNS addressing is that you can have an internal DNS
server able to update from a real one on the net, and then those with
wireless network only will still work regardless... Of course those on
the internet and wired network will be able to look it up as well...

I'm definitely not in favour of long DNS names, this is self
defeating, the whole point of DNS was to remove the need to remember
IP addresses, and if you go off and do that, then others will
most likely do what I'm planning to, run their own domains. It's
neither difficult or expensive and turns the DNS issue into a
non-debate as your still compliant with the rest of the internet...

PS there is more then enough free DNS hosting services out there, not
to mention free DNS subdomains, for those that want more info about
this, www.google.com -> "free DNS" or email me off list...

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com