[MLB-WIRELESS] Node BCA -> BHH officially up

vak vak at alphalink.com.au
Sun Nov 17 11:35:55 EST 2002

Hi Everyone,

Well after a little bit of fine tuning and plenty of hours mucking
around, nodes BCA -> BHH are officially operational.

8dBi omni -> 18dBi modded conifer

Dlink 900AP+ sitting on either ends. One AP being mast mount, the other
sitting on the end of 2 * 5m of LMR (mainly so we could slap the link up
and get it working).

Overnight data tranfer rates were averaging 24 Kilobytes a second with a
maximum sustained transfer of 40 Kilobytes a second.

There is a problem that when a link is on the borderline of having
"excellent" and "good" signal strength, the AP starts to do funny things
and tries switching between transfer speed modes.. (this is my theory
anyway). As a result, we got dropouts at semi regular intervals. Forcing
it back to 11mbps solved this problem. These dropouts were basically
rendering the link useless.

The only thing i'm currently noticing is that where there were timeouts
before, the pings become 50 - 80ms for a packet or so.

Currently getting approximately 4% packet loss - i'm sure we'll be able
to tweak these out. This is definitely not to antennas swaying around in
the wind as it was a completely still night last night.

Average ping time is 3 -6  ms normally. Under load, we got:

    Packets: Sent = 16789, Received = 16008, Lost = 781 (4% loss),
    Minimum = 3ms, Maximum =  340ms, Average =  62ms

The major flaw with the DLink 900AP+ is that there is no signal to noise
or signal strength meter. It would so easy for them to implement it in
firmware, yet they dont....

Real PITA..

Cheers,

Vaskos