[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: November 2002 Annual General Meeting]

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk at trell
Wed Nov 13 22:48:15 EST 2002

On Wed, Nov 13, 2002 at 07:09:26PM +1100, Clae wrote:
> At 12:09 AM +1100 11/11/02, Adrian Close wrote:
> >On 7 Nov 2002, James Healy wrote:
> >
> >> I know most people on the list aren't members, but just as a FYI..
> >
> >Pardon me, but since when was membership anything other than membership of
> >this mailing list?
>
> Since we became an incorporated assocaition in June.
> Mind you, that's not about participation in the network per se, which
> as far as legally possible will be open to all.  It's about
> supporting and voting on the direction of the group as a whole,
> member discounts, nifty membership cards, etc.
>
> > I've been on this mailing list for a while now (since
> >before we had meetings) and I've never seen anything official about
> >members needing to be specially blessed.
> >
> >> and before anyone asks, afaik, you can become a member on the night, but
> >> since membership has to be approved at a committee meeting, you wont be
> >
> >Say what?!!  "Approved at a committee meeting"?!!  If this is case, it's
> >the only organisation of its kind I know of to require such approvals.
> >Normally, you front up to the membership secretary and sign up on the
> >spot.  How bizarre.
>
> well, as it's aprt of the standard model rules we adopted from
> corporate affairs victoria, my guess would be that it's pretty
> common.  and it's not about vetting "worthwhile" members, it's just a
> procedural thing, so we can keep our books nice and clean for the
> gummint.

Just to agree with Clae, this is quite standard for incporated
voluntary assocations.  Nothing at all unusual here.

                                           Robert Merkel
                                          rgmerk at mira.net
If ignorance ever reaches  a barrel, I want the drilling rights
to his head.
  -- a political opponent on President George Bush