[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: November 2002 Annual General Meeting]

Clae clae at tpg.com.au
Wed Nov 13 19:09:26 EST 2002

At 12:09 AM +1100 11/11/02, Adrian Close wrote:
>On 7 Nov 2002, James Healy wrote:
>
>>  I know most people on the list aren't members, but just as a FYI..
>
>Pardon me, but since when was membership anything other than membership of
>this mailing list?

Since we became an incorporated assocaition in June.
Mind you, that's not about participation in the network per se, which
as far as legally possible will be open to all.  It's about
supporting and voting on the direction of the group as a whole,
member discounts, nifty membership cards, etc.

>  I've been on this mailing list for a while now (since
>before we had meetings) and I've never seen anything official about
>members needing to be specially blessed.
>
>>  and before anyone asks, afaik, you can become a member on the night, but
>>  since membership has to be approved at a committee meeting, you wont be
>
>Say what?!!  "Approved at a committee meeting"?!!  If this is case, it's
>the only organisation of its kind I know of to require such approvals.
>Normally, you front up to the membership secretary and sign up on the
>spot.  How bizarre.

well, as it's aprt of the standard model rules we adopted from
corporate affairs victoria, my guess would be that it's pretty
common.  and it's not about vetting "worthwhile" members, it's just a
procedural thing, so we can keep our books nice and clean for the
gummint.

--
-the lord is my shepherd, I shall not want - aum namah shivayam -
allah u akhbar -