[MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

darrend at ndpgroup.com.au darrend at ndpgroup.com.au
Wed Nov 13 11:55:28 EST 2002

Well this has been done to death! Here's an example for isp's
ISP's are considered a Consent Service Provider under the Telco Act.
ISP's do have interception obligations. see
http://www.aca.gov.au/consumer/fsheets/industry/fsi12.pdf

You'll note that ISP's need ONLY supply information when served by an
inteception warrant. Under the Act, they do NOT need to keep historical
log files of activity, nor do they need to actively monitor for illegal
activity. Doing so would constitute a breach of the privacy act! That is
why only the AG's dept and relevant police bodies have the power to serve
one of these warrants.
Yes, it's probably a good idea to keep logs etc, but as Tony said the
chances of this situation arising is small. And yes, being wireless there
are other means of intercepting communications without capturing packets
from the AP.

Under the current ACA non-commercial definition, MW are not classified as
a Carrier or CSP therefore this does not apply to us. The govt knows this
and hence is, I feel why the Inquiry committee was keen to ask us about
our capabilities in this area and our ability to self regulate. They (ACA,
govt etc.) want to allow us to operate legally, but at the same time don't
want community wireless networks to become a haven for pirates and kiddy
porn fiends!

All that is required here is a little common sense!

Darren Dreis
Vice President
Melbourne Wireless Inc.
vicepresident at wireless.org.au