[MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

Tyson Clugg tyson at wireless.org.au
Wed Nov 13 00:29:05 EST 2002

MessageDear all,

Taking a deep breath...

Our network consists not of one-to-one connections between ourselves and one
large single and accountable entity, but between many distinct and often
anonymous connections between nodes dispersed across a very large area in a
haphazard fashion.  The very nature of a decentralised network is still
foreign to policy makers in this country, and this puts us in an
unfavourable position.  While not wanting to provide a safe haven for those
who have malicous intent, we do not want our communications to be hampered
by our own goodwill.  Striking a balance between freedom and control will be
a tedious challenge, one that will see us at odds with law makers if we do
not attempt to cooperate.  Whilst I empathise with those that wish to remain
anonymous when online and not be thrown at the mercy of an over zealous
legal system, I feel we must at least attempt to address the possibility
that some people are not as honourable as you or I.  It is with a healthy
dose of cynicism that I say this, the potential for control by power hungry
authorities is indeed something not to be taken lightly - but in the end, we
have elected our politicians into power because we felt they were the
honourable type who would do just in their duties.

I am not advocating that we should be monitoring the network and examining
our log files with a fine tooth comb and calling the police at the slightest
sign of a disturbance, but simply being cooperative when asked to do so by
the relevant authorities.  I believe Paul Kenna would agree with me (I stand
corrected if he says otherwise), but our duties are indeed for the moment
very light.  Most of us keep log files for at least a week anyway, and most
of us don't take extra effort to remove such records for the sake of
thwarting reasonable attempts by officials to pursue those that have broken
the law.  Much the same as if you were standing at a bus stop and witnessed
a mugging across the street, you would not tell police officers that a
female assailant fled the scene in a white car, if you knew it was a burly
male who fled on a motorbike (please excuse any stereotyping).  The chances
of having ASIO ask you for assistance in any case are remote, and they would
still need to demonstrate just cause for requesting any information of you
regardless.

Now that I've said all of that, lets get back to building a wireless
network.  If "doing your best" means maintaining log files for a reasonable
time, then so be it.  If "help as is reasonably necessary" means you
cooperate when asked by relevant authorities, then help when asked as best
you can.  If you can do better, that's fantastic - please let everyone know
what to do and they too can try to do as good as you have, within reasonable
limitations.  Right now, we haven't even reached consensus on what is the
best way to connect to each other, so our best efforts at national security
are certainly not very grand at all.  Remind yourself about this issue once
you have finished working on your own connectivity, I'm sure you've all got
plenty of work to do on your node before then.

Regards,
Tyson.

   Tyson at wireless.org.au
 President at wireless.org.au