[MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

evilbunny evilbunny at sydneywireless.com
Tue Nov 12 20:31:55 EST 2002

Hello rick,

I noticed the word customer came up an awful lot for a group not even
planning to own anything... Do they understand the context that we
operate under?

--
Best regards,
 evilbunny                            mailto:evilbunny at sydneywireless.com

r> are they asking us to police our own???
r>   ----- Original Message -----
r>   From: Steven Haigh
r>   To: melbwireless at wireless.org.au
r>   Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 7:53 PM
r>   Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] A letter I got....

r>   Got a letter today from the Attorney-General's Department....

r>   it follows:

r>   --- Begin Letter ---
r>   Dear Mr Haigh

r>       WIRELESS BROADBAND INTERNET ACCESS PROVIDERS
r>   OBLIGATIONS UNDER SECTION 313 OF THE TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACT 1997

r>   I understand Melbourne Wireless is operating or intending to operate a wireless broadband network to facilitate access by customers to the Internet and/or the PSTN. I am writing to all wireless
r> broadband access providers to inform them of their obligations under section 313 of the Telecommunications Act 1997.

r>   Under the Act, carriers and carriage service providers must do their best to prevent telecommunications networks and facilities from being used to commit offences. They must also give the
r> authorities such help as is reasonably necessary for the purposes of enforcing the criminal law and laws imposing pecuniary penalties; protecting the public revenus; and safeguarding national
r> security. This may help include provision of interception services, including services in executing an interception warrant under the Telecommunications (Interception) Act 1979.

r>   An Overview of these obligations, including a link to the manual 'Telecommunications and Law Enforcement', is available at the Australian Communications Authority website:

r>   http://www.aca.gov.au/licence/public_interestobligations.htm

r>   An officer from my office, the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation or a law enforcement agency may have already made contact with you to discuss details of the services offered by your
r> company and the assistance that may be requested. If not, you should expect contact to be made in the near future. Specific issues to be discussed will include:

r>   a.    architecture/technical details of the service being offered, the customer base and distribution, and roll out plans;

r>   b.    the nature of subscriber and historical traffic data that might be requested, the information that might be provided as part of the request, and the format in which the information can be
r> provided;

r>   c.    the telecommunications interception warrant process;

r>   d.    identifiers for each service;

r>   e.    technical implementation facilities, and interception product delivery arrangements;

r>   f.    service level agreements; and

r>   g.    physical security arrangements and security clearance requirements for the handling of classified information.

r>   I would appreciate your advice of the most appropriate point of contact within your organisation. If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact myself or <name withheld>, (xx)
r> xxxx.xxxx or email her at: xxx at xx.xxx.xx

r>   Yours sincerely

r>   Joan Sheedy
r>   A/g Agency Coordinator.

r>   --- End Letter ---

r>   Any comments on this? I'm not sure if I like what it's implying.....

r>   Signed,
r>   Steven Haigh
r>   http://wireless.org.au
r>   (Visit https://wireless.org.au to install our Root Certificate.)