[MLB-WIRELESS] help with FreeBSD - unable to get a wi0...

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Mon Nov 11 14:18:45 EST 2002

Hi all,

There have been several links with step by step instructions on how to set up
wireless on FreeBSD - someone want to repost them?

I have checked the FreeBSD handbook - it says something like make sure you can
see a wi# interface (ifconfig -a or similar) - but then doesnt say what to do
it you can't... wait, maybe I should back track...

I am setting up a wireless box.

FreeBSD 4.7
Ricoh PCI - PCMCIA bridge
Skynet Global card (Lucent Entersys? rebadged)
on a cute little (150 x 120mm) PCboard (EPIA rev.B board with VIA ET8231
chipset) with onboard eth., video, mouse/kb/usb/ser/PP/etc.

I get everything nicely installed, pccardd seems to work fine,
ejecting/inserting the card gives the right messages and a beep, but ifconfig
shows no wi# interface...

what have I missed???