[MLB-WIRELESS] [Fwd: November 2002 Annual General Meeting]

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Mon Nov 11 09:36:09 EST 2002

> Pardon me, but since when was membership anything other than
> membership of
> this mailing list?  I've been on this mailing list for a
> while now (since
> before we had meetings) and I've never seen anything official about
> members needing to be specially blessed.

Since Melbourne Wireless Inc came into existance.  Remember the $5
membership many of us paid over the last few months?  While anyone's welcome
to take part in the group's activities, voting rights at meetings have to be
limited to those financial members for legal reasons.

> Say what?!!  "Approved at a committee meeting"?!!  If this is
> case, it's
> the only organisation of its kind I know of to require such approvals.
> Normally, you front up to the membership secretary and sign up on the
> spot.  How bizarre.

Hmm, this is actually quite common and standard practice.  However, unlike
most other clubs, MW actually doesn't ask for any membership fees until the
new membership is approved by the committee.

As a serving committee member of another club, I know first hand that this
process does go on in other organisations (i.e. I have approved new members
for them myself).  However, for 99.9% of new members, it's nothing more than
a rubber stamp process, and it's rarely brought to the attention of new
members.  The main difference here is we're more up front about he process
than most clubs...

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain