[MLB-WIRELESS] Done! [was: Floppy Based Router]

Michael Weinbergs michael at online-admin.net.au
Wed Nov 6 08:42:13 EST 2002

Thanks to all who gave input to my dilemma.
I was pointed to "FloppyFW" (http://www.zelow.no/floppyfw/) after
investigating PicoBSD, LEAF , Oxygen etc.. all of whom were more than
capable of doing the job - FloppyFW won out.
It is compiled from linux 2.4.19 - and works fine!

FYI: it comes with Kernel Modules, and anyone with a reasonable unix
know-how will be able to work out how to load these modules. There are
*HEAPS* of precompiled modules/"packages" to be downloaded on their website.
The one thing I liked most about it is it uses a FAT file structure -
allowing me to copy the modules I require from my W2K box onto it directly
to the floppy (watch out for 8.3 rules however! Confused me for while - how
we take things for granted!)

Anyway - managed to get it to run with orinoco_plx.o and rtl8139too.o
modules - and set up a basic iptables-based firewall. There are modules for
IPsec too - which I will project later..
As for getting me up and going - this was perfect! They even have ISO images
to boot from CD..
Great for making simple, quick nodes/routers - I would recommend it.

Note: Like all things unix - it does assume you have some unix skills. It
takes some time to find all of the documentation - and some good browsing
skills to hunt down your answers.. but they are there.
Unlike most other distro's of this genera - this one is actually up-to-date!
Still some things for me to figure out - but if you are looking for a nice
way to quickly get a router going (can support PPPoE too!) - this is the way
to go!
Thanks again to all whom sent me input - Yet again, your help was
invaluable.
Michael