[MLB-WIRELESS] Proceedings at next meeting.

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Fri May 31 22:53:01 EST 2002

dean wrote:

> There are no requirements for paper based documentation, electronic is just as 'legal'.

It says "pre-paid post or facsimile transmission or electronic
transmission"

I'd suggest that we are going to prefer to go for the latter. But who
knows? some people may require it all on paper.

> Simple fact is (and this applies to Sydney as well) no one has
> confirmed they will be making available via the web, all
> accounts for either association. My issue (and I assume
> others as well) is how is this discretionary funding going
> to be spent.

Um:

right now, MW does not exist.

Soon, it will, as a totally basic incorporated non-profit association.
But right now? nope.

Now, at the general meeting we will be having (September?), if you wish
the Association to do, well, anything, you are perfectly welcome to put
forward a motion, get someone else to back it, and get everyone to vote
on it, ad if we think it's a good idea, wacko, it's in.

As far as:

1: notification: excellent idea. I'd vote for it. Have you actually ever
seen anything from anyone having anything to do with melbourne wireless
stating that we would NOT do this?  There might be some members-only
requirement, or something, but legally we *have* to show the books to
*any* member who requests it, and that means popping around to the
treasurer's house and having a gander. So I'm sure that having the books
online is not just a good idea, it's an excellent idea.

2: Discretionary spending. Well, ideally, it will only be related to the
mechanics of running an association. Post office box, stamps, envelopes,
other stuff whatever it might be.  If you do not want to raise huge sums
and spend it on exciting, um, somethings, vote accordingly.  Everyone
might vote in favour of it, though. I personally feel that we have the
potential to raise some money and do some useful stuff as a collective,
but of course money poisons everything so simple is best.  I'd probably
vote in favour of some really cool stuff but against most things. Maybe.
Who knows?

I have zero clue about Sydney Wireless. I'm in Melbourne Wireless, and
I'm not even speaking on behalf of Melbourne Wireless, because it
doesn't exist yet, legally.

> Let me give you a perfect example, 3 weeks ago I organised
> for the AWA team to prepare a flyer to be handed out at the

I'm curious as to why we are letting Sydney stuff drive Melbourne
internal discussion when the two groups are entirely separate entities
but anyway...

> Internet.com.au breakfast forum. I pre-briefed the organiser
> about who we were, what we wanted to achieve. All that was
> required by the AWA management team was to 'register' for
> the event, design the flyer, have them printed and turn up
> on time to hand them out.

Okay.

> The results were, half of them failed to register AND the
> flyer was only designed/printed the night before at great
> expense using a last minute Kinko's print run. This cost
> more than it should of just because the boys
> didn't/couldn't get their shit together in time.

Okay, they suck.
What has this to do with us?
And, it sounds to me like you didn't do quite as much leaping about as
they did, do perhaps you could have helped out if they were running late
or something? Dunno. Hmmm.  You rang someone up and spoke to them,
right? they registered, designed, printed, turned up and handed them
out. Okay.  Just checking.

> Simple fact is money can be saved by doing things properly
> not just doing what's expected.

Yeah but that's why we all get together and form these groups and
attempt to sort out complex shit without killing each other.  And the
govt nicely enough has these funky model rules to enable us to work out
stuff between groups of people reasonably calmly. It's great. Each rule
is the result of some evil bastard at some time or another trying to
take over a club, so if you follow the model rules reasonably closely
enough it's fairly hard to take over a club or run off with the cash,
etc. Reasonably, but pretty good.

So, you know, any helpful advice you can throw into the general mix
which is Melbourne Wireless, feel free, and if you feel it is really
important turn up to a general meeting and propose it and see how it
goes. The group/club/thingy can only reflect all of us, really, and
nothing more, so feel free to help build it :)

> (having said that the final flyer design was great and got our
> message across fine - even though there could have been 25%
> more by printing 4 to a page rather than 3)

Well, it's more than we have achieved down here, as far as I'm aware, so
I wouldn't be too annoyed.

> just my 2c worth.

If I ever sell you anything, you can keep the change, okay?

;p

Dwayne