[MLB-WIRELESS] National IP allocation and routing scheme??

Craig Mead craig.mead at pagesmith.com.au
Mon May 20 08:38:45 EST 2002

As you all would most likely know by now, there are many groups in Australia
in the process of setting up wireless community networks. There are a few
different approaches these groups are taking, but in essence all have the
same end goal. A community network, for the community.

Most of the groups so far are still in the infancy of rollout so this is the
most logical time to do this project. What project? A national IP
alloc/routing scheme.

I understand that at the moment there are some people who don't agree with
the method the other groups are taking to achieve the goal of a large
network, however I believe (and I have talked to a few people from various
other states who also agree) that if we implement a national scheme from the
start, we all hope that we can figure out some of the issues and WHEN the
day arrives that we can interconnect states & regional locations, it is a
simple fact of getting that final link set up and everything will work
perfectly (or thats the plan).

This would remove the need for reconfiguring entire networks when this day
comes.

I am not trying to push and current white paper to be the national standard,
I am putting forward the proposal that those groups that are interested set
up a working group to deal with this issue and work with the other WG's
around the country to work on a white paper which can then be implemented
nation wide.

The point of this thread is not a technical discussion on what you
personally think should be done with the IP alloc/routing, it is merely a
post regarding your thoughts on the base proposal and if you believe it to
be a good idea.

If you do have technical knowledge and you would like to contribute, put
your name down for your groups WG if this project is accepted and you will
have input through them.

Regards, Craig Mead
craig at sydney.air.net.au