[MLB-WIRELESS] Press Release

Toliman toliman at ihug.com.au
Sun May 19 11:11:18 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Clae" <clae at tpg.com.au>
To: <melbwireless at wireless.org.au>; <wgpulicrelations at wireless.org.au>;
<netwiz at optushome.com.au>
Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2002 7:16 AM
Subject: [MLB-WIRELESS] Press Release

> Dear Steven,
>
> I've had a bit more of a think about your press release, and there
> are a few points that concern me that I'd like to raise with you.

you might have possibly sent this to the wrong list... i know that i wish i
hadn't read it.

> Distances of up to 15km have been achieved with full 11Mbps throughput and
> research conducted by Melbourne Wireless shows that links over 100km at
> 11Mbps may well be possible.

i have serious doubts about the factual nature of this press release if
thats the indication you want to present to people.

We could aim 802.11b links going to the moon, it's just not possible. it's
all about timing, and unless you have a plan to warp space and time to your
whin, it's not going to happen. without butchering the specification,
reliability drops off after 15km due to distance and timing. it's in the
FAQ.  if we break the timing in the protocol with specalised software, it's
anyone's guess as to how long we could get the links, but then, it's not
802.11b, its something proprietary. unless youre referring to cell networks
and routes, which is not what's written above, thats the only exception.

we would not be in a position to clarify any argument after the event of a
release so it's good to see that it was done with some consultation...

Toliman.