[MLB-WIRELESS] A gimmick for MW

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Sat May 18 22:58:31 EST 2002

Matt Chipman wrote:

> Have been thinking about how to expand the Melbourne Wireless membership and
> awareness.

Why? Aren't we too big as it is?

I mean, really. I'm serious. I'd much rather get the structure organised
properly before we do mass recruits.

Unless you feel this would instantly catapult us into critical mass.  In
which case, hell yeah, go for it.

> If you think about it, the stuff we are doing is reasonably
> obscure to the general public and difficult to bring up in conversation with
> non computer types.

I have zero problem, but I've been trying to explain this sort of stuff
to *hippies* for years now.
It's a matter of the terms you use, I guess.

CB radio, and explaining how modems work and how wireless plays a
similar role does the trick.

Hmmm, this is where working group PR comes in, I guess  :)

> Some might disagree, but generally what an advertising company would do in
> this situation is to spend a million or so dollars an TV advertising to
> educate these people.

No they wouldn't.
They wouldn't spend a cent.

A client would spend a million dollars.
We are a client in this scenario, we don't have a million dollars.

> Considering we probably cant so this,

Yeah, so I never read ahead when replying  :)

> the next idea would be to have an
> object such as a Stubby holder or a T shirt (which have both been done to
> death) which has our name on it.  This brings up an oportunity and if it is
> labelled with Melbourne Wireless logo then a conversation is sure to follow.

Well, yes.  But there's not that many of us, we'd wind up with maybe 100
shirts wandering around melbourne.

A better idea, perhaps, off the top of my head, would be a simple A5
(half A4?) flyer with everything spelled out, carefully and clearly laid
out, with contact info on it, and everyone prints off, say, 100? 1,000?
And does a letter drop for an hour a night for a few weeks.

> The Free S/wan group have an excellent idea that we could surely follow
> http://liberty.freeswan.org/lights.html
>
> They are labelling highly bright led torches on Keyrings with their logo.
> Something both functional and interesting which is ideal for even the
> average Joe public.

This is seriously clever.
We'd need a super-simple logo though.

I sorta like Tyson's one (Tyson? Was that you?) although I'm not sure it
would work on something like that. Hmmm.  Excellent idea.

We need cheap, nifty shit we can pay for individually and spam our
environment with. A grassroots PR campaign. Great idea :)

> It all helps to get our name out there.  If we followed the trail to the
> importer, we could surely use it as an income source as well.

Errr, are we selling or giving away?

Dwayne