[MLB-WIRELESS] AWA and Sydney Wireless

James Healy jimmy at deefa.com
Fri May 17 17:08:23 EST 2002

Okay..... after a lengthy chat with `2L in the IRC room, things are
looking clearer..

What the AWA is :::

- AWA has been set up as a national community wireless network.

- This organisation has a board, is becoming incorporated, etc etc

- The SWAG site is being decommission, and SW has become the Sydney
branch of the AWA. The Sydney wireless site will be re-badged to show
this in the near future

- SW will also be set up with a board (pres, secretary, etc etc)

- Any regions (Melb, Perth, Adelaide, Darwin, whoop whoop) who want to
join the AWA can. If they do, they will set up there own board, and will
become the branch of the AWA in their region

- this places all regions under the national board in the AWA hierarchy

What I thought it was:::

Okay, the confusion existed because I was under the impression that the
AWA was a representative body, not an actual giant community network,
made up of branches.

<OPINION>
I think you're really going to struggle to get regions joining with this
type of model. The networks that have been set up with a free (as in
beer and speech) philosophy (most (all?) of em...) aren't going to like
being "ruled" by a national office.

We had enough problems in Melbourne deciding whether we need a
committee. In fact, we still haven't decided. We elected a temporary
president, and given a WG a mandate to come up with some sort of
structure.

You may have more luck inviting the various groups to TOGETHER form a
body to support and encourage community wireless groups in .au, and to
represent those groups on National Issues (ie. The current Federal
inquiry).

At the moment, it is just coming across as Sydney trying to bully
everyone else to join what is currently a organisation totally run by
Sydney people. (Affectionately referred to as the "Join us or be
crushed", or "American" method)

Your working top down, not bottom up.

</OPINION>

James