[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

Rowan Wainwright-Smith Rowan at teleaudit.com
Thu May 16 10:37:59 EST 2002

Carl Johnston wrote:

> > But this is exactly what I'm talking about.  There'd be a local hot
> > spot, but as to how the stations are connected, I'm not sure. I'd be
> > shocked if the railway doesn't have fibre running along the line
> > already, if they don't, it could be put in, or perhaps directional links
> > could be used?
>
> I think that the stations are linked using ISDN/Fiber (don't quote me on
> this though).. They have all the phones, those timetable/emergency booths,
> digital surveillance cameras, current train locations etc running off the
> one network (which is probably fiber running down the tracks).

This is actually the case, VIC Rail has one of the largest PRIVATE networks in
the state. Their fibres run along the majority of the lines in the state.

The timetable booths are actually EXTENSIONS on PABX's (mostly NEC 7400
systems) that are routed to an IVR system with a set of predefined dialed
digits to allow the particular station to get the correct information. This is
usually set up as a speed dial. This is all very common equipment and readily
available. The "calls" that these booths are making are actually free to VIC
rail because of this routing.

They are also routing data (security cams, ticket machines, validation
machines etc) along these fibres to a central location.

Anyone who wants further info on their telecomms/data network layout can feel
free to mail me off list.

      Rowan Wainwright-Smith
       Technical Services Manager

(Tel: {International  613} (National 03) 9761-1992
7Fax: {International  613} (National 03) 9761-1222
+Mail: Level 1, 171 Boronia Rd, Boronia, Vic, Australia, 3155
*E-mail: Rowan at teleaudit.com

   * COMMUNICATIONS & "IT" Integration
   * Strategic Planning for Technology
   * Traffic Management & Reporting