[MLB-WIRELESS] [NODEEAI] Backbone Idea - Highrise Housing

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Wed May 15 17:53:21 EST 2002

Greg wrote:

> I thought our stated objective was free internet for the masses.

As opposed to free masses for the internet:
http://www.vatican.va/

> Would not that induce some occupiers of the top floors of Melbournes vast
> number of high rise housing commision buildings to be interested in allowing
> a dirty big antenna looking out the lounge room window to another high rise
> to create the backbone;-) Of course they would have another one in the
> bathroom looking out the other side to another high rise.;-(

Better would be high-capacity link on the roof and ethernet through the
building. Hell, around the outside of the building.

> OK..maybe not,

Too many cooked people.
Woo. Blockwar possibilities. Everyone pointing their antenna at you at
once. Sizzle. Woo.

> but these high rise houseblocks are everywhere and they are HIGH.
> Maybe the roofspace is available to an organisation(?) like ours if you ask
> the right people.

This timing thing is trippy.

I was sitting on this as I wasn't sure how to put it forward, so here it
is. I found this about 2 weeks ago:

http://www.highrise.infoxchange.net.au/

---------------------------
"e-ACE

electronic - Atherton Community Enterprise (e-ACE)

electronic - Atherton Community Enterprise (e-ACE) is a dynamic and
active Intranet community connecting the
four towers and 800 apartments of a high-rise estate in inner city
Melbourne, acting as the model for similar
such development throughout the state.

This Intranet is an online space where residents of the Atherton Gardens
Highrise Estate can share views and
information and strengthen the existing community networks on the
estate. Noticeboards, discussion forums,
links, libraries, and chat rooms will provide the means for online
communication between residents."
I subscribed to *something* at any rate.  But I haven't received
anything yet and I haven't written to them, so they have no idea about
us as yet, as far as I'm aware.

Dwayne