[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Wed May 15 13:59:48 EST 2002

> Aha, I actually spoke to my local (Coburg) milkbar owner about doing
> exactly this in late 1999. He was very very keen. I'd say any milkbar
> will leap (hell, catapult themselves) at a new revenue stream. Milkbar
> owners have, I'm sure, an Association. There's a milkbar at
> least every
> square kilometer in Melbourne. That's widespread coverage. I had a
> business model worked out which used this as a keystone but I can't be
> bothered with it (too complex, too costly, too much hassle) so hey,
> perhaps we should speak to the milkbar owners association with an eye
> towards utilising our synergies, baby.

Hehe, milkbat internet...  However, the number of milk bars is falling
rapidly.  Supermarkets have gobbled up their customers.

> Oh, um, also, I was going to mention this a while back but forgot.
>
> Ever caught a train?
> Ever pushed the little green button to find out when the next train is
> coming?
>
> Is that *really* a local call?
> Each time?  Isn't that expensive? Per station? Per day? Aren't there a
> hell of a lot of them in Melbourne?
>
> Wouldn't it be niftier to link the stations using wireless?
> Is it something we could be involved in?

I don't think this is such a good idea.  It was only a few days ago that I
mentioned about potential problems of using 802.11b when reliability is
required outdoors.  How do you think passengers would feel if some fool took
delight in DoSing the station whenever someone went near the button (there's
that door-less microwave again ;) ).  Or the station was wiped out by a
legitimate ISM emission (against which they have no protection).

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain