[MLB-WIRELESS] was: Can 802.11... >> Official statement on utility-corp telco infrastructure

Ben Ryan ben at bssc.edu.au
Wed May 15 12:15:33 EST 2002

>> On 05/14/02 11:18 AM, Tony Langdon wrote:
> --snip--
>>>noise), it's a wonder that PLC systems work at all!
>>>
>> I was particularly thinking of remote access - esp. country.  after all,
>> it seems clear that the biggest hurdle for remote AP's is power supply.
>> Also the article was not clear about exactly what they meant by power
>> companies becoming telecos.  fibre was mentioned at one point, which
>> makes me wonder if it is fibre optics that are being rolled out with the
>> powerlines.  that would make for an interesting network.  If you have
>> power on you have broadband on.  then you get wireless to dothe last
>> mile stuff.
> Yes, bandwidth is the killer here in the country. Housing density though is a
> challenge to WLAN - smaller pop density means less possible nodes per sq km :(
> Also AFAIK, and FYI, the owner of most of Victoria's power distribution
> infrastructure (who inherited it from the former SEC) required a network to
> monitor, log, diagnose and manage their resources remotely.
> So they had to fibre up at least the substations. I think a lot more than that
> is glassed, why wouldn't you do it all in one hit. So yep, they had to lay a
> coupla fibres, laying 50 pair isn't much more expensive than running 5 pair....
> so I think they did :)
> Keep an eye out for commercial carriage services (prolly wholesaled) from this
> player soon. Apparently one can obtain E1, 10BaseT, DS3, STM1's, the works.
> Ethernet was interesting, dunno what underlying transport technology they're using.

Further to this, the cat is out of the bag on the new player in fat pipes:

"A powerful force sizes up the broadband frontier"
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002394645.html

Telstra are in the shit. People are sick of being fleeced for connectivity that
is kept artificially high by Telstra sitting on dark fibres, releasing more and
dropping their pillage prices only when they have to.
I, for one, will be pleased to watch them squirm.
Anyone know if Ziggy has cultural affiliations?
He smells of the new fascist regime in the US who screw the customer to maximise
profits and control the commodity;
(Rosen,RIAA; Zelnick,BMG; Bronfman,Vivendi; Levin,AOL; Eisner,Disney;
Rothstein,Viacom; Levine,Sony Pictures;  etc etc)
These guys do exactly the same with their music and video commodities - control the market,
resist competition, squeeze maximal profits from customers, bully threats out of existence.
Hey, is it me or do their names all seem similar?? ;)
Lucky they're protecting mates; Spielberg, Jerry Bruckheimer,
Metro-Goldwyn-Meyer, DreamWorks SKG (spielberg katzenburg geffen)
lol

Anyway, the cost issue in the last mile isn't any longer the last mile - it's
getting bandwidth to the hubs that house that equipment. We all know what
Telstra charge, and unfortunately they're the only one with decent reach.
That's why everyone with DSL is reselling Telstra, because Telstra make it too
expensive to do otherwise;
*Connecting the hub to your ISP distribution network
*Colocate DSLAM and equipment
*Access to frames for customer pair termination
All these make it non-viable. But with a new possibility for high-speed
interconnect, you could actually set up a broadband distribution hub in say, a
back room of the local milkbar!

*Lease space off a well-located establishment (near the exchange)
*Lay cable to allow jumpering of customer pairs if they want to
move off Telstra (DSL allows simultaneous use of POTS fones and the data
transport, Ericsson DSL carries the voice portion over the network and gateways
it out wherever you want)
*Install the gear, ensure power supply continuity, secure enclosure
*Connect the hub to the Utility mesh, which enables inter-hub communication as
well as trunking back to the central office and from there to the internet
*Watch Telstra bleed and cry :)

Otherwise it would be a 2Mbit ISDN E1/PRI from telstra (Thousands a month) back
to central office and then you have to get bandwidth to your internet
provider... overprovision 128kbit for each user and watch as the Telstra
solution hits six figures a month...

And that's the solution to delivery using DSL, a pretty intensive transport to
install. Wireless?? well, find a spare rooftop ;)

ahh what a rambling, but you get the point.