[MLB-WIRELESS] [nodeDB survey]

James Robertson orlock at central.warehouse.net
Wed May 15 08:43:52 EST 2002

I'm suprised that nobodys started mentioning "Cryptonomicon" yet..

One of the chapters involves one of the main characters wandering around
Manila with a laptop and GPS, logging co-ortinated of assorted landmarks,
building, etc. All to do with line of site and last mile connections to
places its not that easy to run fibre to.

On Wed, 15 May 2002, Tony Langdon wrote:

> > Well, I'd say it is pretty obvious that to do this properly involves,
> > um, a ladder, a Dolphin and a mobile.
>
> Ladder laser and a couple of CBs suffice? ;-)
>
> > Exactly, it will reduce the number of people you want to
> > contact to see
> > if line-of-sight is possible.  No point climbing up on the
> > roof to see a
> > huge hill in the way.
>
> Agreed.  I haven't really had much input, as I'm already familiar with the
> area I'm in, but topographical maps are an important tool.

J.