[MLB-WIRELESS] ./: Can 802.11 Become A Viable Last-Mile Alte rnative?

dwayne dwayne at pobox.com
Tue May 14 21:13:45 EST 2002

Ben Ryan wrote:

> Anyone know anything conclusive on Ultra WideBand?

Keep an eye on timedomain.com

> I've heard the marketroid PR fluff, what about chipsets, etc?

Last I heard it is being held up awaiting congressional approval, some
worry about interference or something.

So: still vapour

> Anyone got a good URL for those unfamiliar with UWB?

timedomain.com

is, as far as I know, the guy who invented the tech.

from my bookmarks file:
some of these might be outdated or useless. YMMV)

http://ultra.usc.edu/
http://www-ee.eng.hawaii.edu/Seminars/F94/nov10.html
http://sensor.sanders.com/public/sensors97/abstracts/1_rf.html
http://www.cmsa.wmin.ac.uk/~kambiz/wideband.html
http://www.cmsa.wmin.ac.uk/~kambiz/wideband.html
http://sss-mag.com/impulse.html
http://search.borders.com/associates/index.xcv
http://www.media.mit.edu/pia/Research/Hyphos/
http://www.interval.com/
http://www.interval.com/
http://www.ptsc.com/
http://commsci.usc.edu/ulab/history.html
http://commsci.usc.edu/ulab/links.html
http://www.ptsc.com/radar/index.html
http://commsci.usc.edu/ulab/ulab.html
http://www-lasers.llnl.gov:80/lasers/idp/mir/mir.html
http://www.time-domain.com/
http://www.time-domain.com/technology.html

> It's looking promising, so long as the ACA doesn't stomp on it...

It looks fantastic, but it'll probably be at least 5 years before you or
I are using it.

Unfortunately.

Dwayne