[MLB-WIRELESS] ./: Can 802.11 Become A Viable Last-Mile Alte rnative?

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Tue May 14 10:47:35 EST 2002

> it appears the RF lighting story was another bit of "the sky
> is falling"
> by slashdot. a couple of people have stated the lights are
> very poor, as
> the RF heats up sulfur? i think to create the glow, and they
> get so hot
> they end up failing, and the stray RF is comparable to a
> cordless phone,
> and supposedly the company doing the lights are in bankrupcy.

Hmm, well that seems to settle that one.  However, my other concerns about
_commercial_ attempts to use wireless networking for outdoor last mile
connectivity still stand.   Kinda reminds me of those business on UHF CB
which think they own their particular channel and wonder why there's
hundreds of people on "their" channel! :)

Just like with CB, I feel the hobbyists will get the most out of outdoor
802.11b, as will those in remote areas, where interference isn't a big
issue.

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain