[MLB-WIRELESS] ./: Can 802.11 Become A Viable Last-Mile Alte rnative?

Paul van den Bergen paul at serc.rmit.edu.au
Tue May 14 10:59:18 EST 2002

On 05/14/02 10:47 AM, Tony Langdon wrote:

>>it appears the RF lighting story was another bit of "the sky
>>is falling"
>>by slashdot. a couple of people have stated the lights are
>>very poor, as
>>the RF heats up sulfur? i think to create the glow, and they
>>get so hot
>>they end up failing, and the stray RF is comparable to a
>>cordless phone,
>>and supposedly the company doing the lights are in bankrupcy.
>>

>Hmm, well that seems to settle that one.  However, my other concerns about
>_commercial_ attempts to use wireless networking for outdoor last mile
>connectivity still stand.   Kinda reminds me of those business on UHF CB
>which think they own their particular channel and wonder why there's
>hundreds of people on "their" channel! :)
>
>Just like with CB, I feel the hobbyists will get the most out of outdoor
>802.11b, as will those in remote areas, where interference isn't a big
>issue.

article in the age about power companies rolling out telecoms...  talk
about the last mile.
http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/05/10/1021002394645.html

I wonder if there is a possible synergy between data transmission on
power distribution equipment and 802.11b public access points?
 especially for country areas.

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
SERC