[MLB-WIRELESS] Mountain Radio Challenge

Tony Langdon tlangdon at atctraining.com.au
Thu May 9 08:40:01 EST 2002

> Anyone have good pointers/recommendations for price/availability for
> decent cheap GPS units, to plug into a laptop?  I notice one
> of the apps
> I got the other day that logs networks it's seen keeps trying to poll
> the serial port, and wants to record lattitude and longitude,
> so I'm now
> thinking "if I had a GPS..."  ;)

If you don't need the GPS display, you can sometimes get hold of a GPS
engine (the guts of a GPS) for around the $100 mark.  They can be a bit hard
to track down though.

Also, there are at least 2 different formats for the strings presented to
the serial interface, just to confuse matters. :-/  I'm still looking for a
GPS engine.  Then I could run APRS and you guys could use a scanner and
software modem to see where to point your antennas. :-)   Also good for
stealth war walking/driving.  I can then just walk or drive casually around
and let Netstumbler log everything automatically - AP info and location. :-)

---
Outgoing mail has been scanned for Viruses.

This correspondence is for the named person’s use only. It may contain